What We Do
Strengthening Communities Through Cooperation
Food Co-op Initiative paves the way for new food co-op excellence, leading to better fed, healthier communities with local control and connections.
FCI aims to increase the number, success, and sustainability of new food cooperatives delivering access to healthy food in diverse communities across this country. It provides information, training, and technical assistance, as well as seed capital, and engages in research, to blaze, maintain and improve the development path for new food coops.
The specific outcomes FCI works to achieve, in priority order, are these:
Food co-op organizers will have access to:
- Relevant information, tools, best practices, and resources.
- Effective training.
- Ongoing technical advice and support.
- Peer learning.
- Sufficient grant and loan resources.
Diverse communities will be strengthened because:
- Residents will be healthier and better fed.
- Civic engagement and empowerment will be greater.
- New jobs in democratic workplaces will pay living wages.
- The tax base will expand.
- Prospects for future development will be improved.
Institutions that invest capital and enact public policies will have:
- Increased understanding and appreciation of the value and impact of food co-ops.
- A greater commitment to providing resources for their development.
Help us support new co-ops!
We want to keep our services and resources free and accessible to those who need it most. If you have benefited from what's offered here, or simply love your own local co-op and want to see more co-ops, consider a donation in any amount.Show Your Support for New Co-ops