10 years. 134 new food co-ops. Over 100 more currently in the works.
Making a Difference – Over 10 Years of Impact
As of May 2017, Food Co-op Initiative has seen 134 new retail food co-ops open in the U.S., with 74% of those still in business. Every store is unique, but they all share a belief in the Seven Cooperative Principles, and the pride that community ownership can bring. Together these stores have:
- Created over 1,500 jobs.
- Added $160 million in annual sales to the cooperative business economy.
- 150,000+ people are local community member/owners.
- Supported local economies, and local producers.
As a nonprofit organization supported by the co-op community, FCI is proud to be able provide free assistance to startup co-ops, including:
- Phone, email and in-person consultation, training and guidance.
- An extensive resource library of publications, videos,
templates and more.
- The FCI Guide to Starting a Food Co-op, the fully revised and updated book widely used by retail food co-op organizers.
- Co-Sponsor of the annual national Up & Coming Conference for startup food co-ops, and several other regional training events.
- Over $600,000 in Seed Grants to support early development of new co-ops.
Download our 2016 Impact Report to learn more, read what some of these co-ops say about FCI, and see the list of stores opened since FCI started.
New Co-ops Start . . . With You
We want to keep our services and resources free and accessible to startup retail food co-ops. If you have benefited from what's offered here, or want to support others, consider a donation in any amount.Support FCI Today