13 years. 154 new food co-ops. Over 100 more currently in the works.
Making a Difference – Over 11 Years of Impact
As of May 2018, Food Co-op Initiative has seen 154 new retail food co-ops open in the U.S., with over 72% of those still in business. Every store is unique, but they all share a belief in the Seven Cooperative Principles, and the pride that community ownership can bring. Together these stores have:
- Created over 1,600 jobs.
- Added $180 million in annual sales to the cooperative business economy.
- 160,000+ people are local community member/owners.
- Supported local economies, and local producers.
As a nonprofit organization supported by the co-op community, FCI is proud to be able provide free assistance to startup co-ops, including:
- Phone, email and in-person consultation, training and guidance.
- An extensive resource library of publications, videos,
templates and more.
- The FCI Guide to Starting a Food Co-op, the fully revised and updated book widely used by retail food co-op organizers.
- Co-sponsor of the annual national Up & Coming Conference for startup food co-ops, and several other regional training events.
- Over $642,000 in Seed Grants to support early development of new co-ops.
- Initiated our Urban Market Initiative to help under-served urban food deserts organize for community-owned grocery stores that will provide sustainable options for food access.
View the complete 2017 Impact Report to learn more.
You can also review our 2016 Impact Report to learn more, read what some of these co-ops say about FCI, and see the list of stores opened since FCI started.
New Co-ops Start . . . With You
We want to keep our services and resources free and accessible to startup retail food co-ops. If you have benefited from what's offered here, or want to support others, consider a donation in any amount.Support FCI Today